Acting President's Advisory on Revised Fee Payment for Semester 2 Academic Year 2020 21

The Management of the University of Technology, Jamaica wishes to advise all students, staff and other stakeholders of the revised fee-payment arrangements for Semester 2, Academic Year, 2020/2021.  These arrangements have been arrived at after consideration of recommendations from student leaders and academic and administrative managers.  The University values input from its stakeholders and seeks to minimize the challenges faced by our students from the COVID-19 pandemic while we seek to ensure continued financial viability of the University’s operations. 

The following arrangements will apply:

  1. Students will be allowed to enter their classes and complete registration after paying the Enrolment Commitment Deposit (ECD) of $28,700.00 and confirming their module selections.
  2. While students are encouraged to pay fees in full before the Census Date (January 29, 2021), they will be required to pay a minimum of 30% of their total fees for Semester 2 by January 29, 2021.  Failure to meet this criterion will result in students being charged a Late Registration Fee of $10, 000.00.
  3. Students are required to make another payment of 30% of total fees by February 28, 2021.  Failure to meet this criterion will result in students being charged a Facility Fee of $10,000.00.
  4. The final 40% of fees must be paid by March 31, 2021.  Failure to meet this criterion will result in accounts being blocked to prevent registration in subsequent academic sessions or clearance for award of certification until outstanding fees are cleared. A Delinquency Fee of $15,000.00 per month up to a maximum of $60,000.00 will be charged for all outstanding payments beyond March 31, 2021.
  5. No charges will be applied for outstanding balances below a minimum of $2,000.00 for local students and US$15.00 for international students.
  6. Boarding students will be required to pay a minimum of 30% of the Semester’s boarding invoice; in addition to prior balances by the Census Date, January 29, 2021 in order to get access to the dorms. The remaining 70% should be paid in accordance with the aforementioned Fee Payment deadlines:
  • 30% by February 28, 2021
  • 40% by March 31, 2021

All penalties (Late Registration Fee, Facility Fee and Delinquency Fee) are applicable where 

  • overall account balance including boarding is not paid by the stipulated dates.

We anticipate that students will be better facilitated by being allowed to access their classes and complete registration on the basis of paying the ECD only. The revised payment arrangements will eliminate the need for retroactive registration and removal of grades due to incomplete registration.  The minimum balance should also help to minimise incidents of persons being charged due to small shortfalls in payments.  The timelines have been extended to provide greater flexibility to students in completing their payments. 

We have reduced both the Late Registration Fee and the Facility Fee; but we have introduced a Delinquency Fee as a deterrent to those who might be inclined to delay their payments. Consequently, there will be no Incomplete Registration Fee at the end of the Semester. Persons who are facing extreme financial difficulties can present their case for consideration through a specific referral system administered through the Office of Student Financing.


Yours Sincerely, 

Professor Colin Gyles, PhD
President (Acting)

 December 16, 2020