The Faculty of The Built Environment was established in 1998 under the new charter and statute of the University of Technology, Jamaica. However, its history goes back to 1958 when the Diploma in Construction Technology was offered in the Engineering Department of the then recently established College of Arts, Science & Technology (CAST).
As demand increased for widening training opportunities in Construction Engineering and related disciplines, the Building Department was established in 1978. The new department was made up of six divisions delivering diploma and/or certificate programmes. In 1988 the Caribbean School of Architecture was instituted.
The Faculty now comprises two schools, namely, the School of Building and Land Management and the Caribbean School of Architecture. The schools deliver a wide range of undergraduate certificate, diploma and degree programmes together with a postgraduate diploma and a Master's degree. In addition, faculty members are actively involved in research and consultancy relating to issues of the Built Environment.